Today we headed in to see my doctor for my 36 week appointment. They checked my iron and were very happy with the level. I am iron woman! Then the doctor checked my cervix. He was quite surprised to find that I was now 2 cm dialated and he said my cervix was quite thin and that I was 80% effaced. I was surprised to hear this after having been checked just three days prior. From what I understand, in your first pregnancy, you efface first and then begin dialating. In later pregnancies, you dialate first and then efface. For me to be already at 80% and 2 cm could mean the baby will make an early appearance! I was also told that my first pregnancy could model my mother's first pregnancy. My oldest brother, Brett, was born 2 weeks early. So, exciting news, but I am hoping she holds on for another couple of weeks. I would feel better being closer to 38 weeks, than 36. But, she will be here before we know it and may not be an October baby!
I have not being feeling too bad over the past month, but have noticed a lot of changes. The first three fingers and my thumbs, on both hands, feel as though they are asleep all of the time now and they are completely numb at night when I try to sleep. I am slightly swollen at all times now, especially through my legs, feet and hands. I can't wait to wear my wedding rings again! It will also be nice to wear shoes that are not sandals and flip flops once again. Every evening my legs begin to ache and sometimes they hurt so bad that it makes me cry. During the night, I often get back pain through my shoulder blades and in the center of my back and there is no way that I can sleep where I am pain free. Luckily, Tylenol is allowed. I try not to take it very often, but it does help and once or week or less, I take Tylenol PM. Getting a fairly good night of sleep is wonderful! I've also noticed that I am just sore from my pelvis down nowadays and it is uncomfortable even to walk. I am also quite congested, especially at night. I'm not sure if it is from allergies or just the fact that I am producing more mucous to fight off infections. At any rate, it's been hard to breathe. Lastly, as the baby has now moved into position, head down, I have to go to the bathroom practically every hour! On nights that I do not take Tylenol PM, I am up every hour and a half, like clock work. I think Jason really likes the nights that I take Tylenol PM too, as for some reason, he sleeps better on these nights as well :) Although, I am getting to the point that I feel like if I sleep through getting up every hour and a half, I'll start wetting the bed! :)
Our next appointment is set for next Tuesday. We will be going every week until she arrives. I'm excited to see what will have happened by then! I definitely feel like we are physically ready to have her at the house. I'm not sure what else she could want for, except to have her family close. I can't wait to call my Mom and Dad when we know it's time and to know that they will be jumping in the car and making the drive here immediately. It is all quite exciting and I can't wait to have them here for the first two weeks of Tegan's life. Look for REAL baby pictures soon!!
Me & Tegan, at 35 weeks, 4 days

If she's thinking about popping out in just a couple of weeks, maybe she'll arrive on my birthday. I wouldn't mind sharing September 26th with my first niece!
ReplyDeleteThat "Me" is me, by the way. Corey. Your brother. :)
ReplyDelete